Glaucoma care at LondonOC
It's estimated 1 in 50 people will develop Glaucoma over the age of 40.
Glaucoma assessment and diagnosis
At LondonOC, we recognise the importance of a comprehensive & correct diagnosis. We include 9 specialist examinations in our glaucoma check, not just the usual 2 or 3 from most other clinics.
LondonOC use the latest technology to monitor Glaucoma: We include applanation pressure check, dynamic gonioscopy, and stereoscopic funduscopy in all examinations, plus we offer:
- Applanation Tonometry: Our pressure measuring machines are the gold standard for glaucoma, and far more accurate than the air puff measurements used by most opticians.
- Optical Coherence Tomography(OCT) disc and macula scans: These are used to obtain clear detailed images of the Retinal and Optic nerves, so we can see in amazing definition the structures involved, in order to monitor Glaucoma like never before! This allows our eye surgeons to measure the size of your nerve, and ensure that any abnormal change is detected quickly, before any damage appears in your vision. We can analyse the invisible retinal and nerve layers so can show structural change, before it causes any visual loss. The latest scanners produce 3d images of your nerve so we can pin point any change and stop the disease early.
- Ocular Blood flow measurements: Latest research has shown clearly that patients with Glaucoma have reduced blood flow (oxygen) in the optic nerve, and we now have the technology to monitor this effectively.
- Cornealhysteresis: We can measure your risk of damage from high pressure. This is a vital and modifiable risk factor for glaucoma
- Anterior segment and angle imaging: 360 degree gonioscopy- for the first time we can comprehensively image the whole of the internal eye's drainage system.
- Optic Nerve Imaging with latest automated fundal cameras and swept source OCT scans
- Corneal Pachymetry (Thickness): The thickness of the cornea has been shown to influence eye pressure readings, and Corneal Pachymetry takes account of this. As a result, the readings are more accurate and this ensures your eye pressure (IOP) readings are always correct.
- Ziess Humprey and VR headset visual field tests: The latest “Short Wave Analysis Perimetry” software (SWAP: yellow-blue light) allows Glaucoma to be detected up to 5 years earlier than was previously possible!
State of the art info and imagery
The main problem with Glaucoma is that there are no symptoms and it can go undetected, causing loss of vision - this is why screening is so important.
What are some of the risk factors for glaucoma?
- A family history
- Myopia (Short sightedness)
- Age - the elderly are at more risk
- Thin Corneas- that's why everyone should undergo a corneal measurement
- Low Corneal Hysteresis (shock absorbing or mechanical elasticity)
- Race- its more common amongst black and asians
- High eye pressure - if your eye pressure is higher than normal
- Previous eye injury
Keep up-to-date with conditions, innovative treatments and news here at LondonOC