Glaucoma care at LondonOC
LondonOC specialise in innovative technology to diagnose, monitor and treat glaucoma
Find out more about Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery below or glaucoma assessment here.
Glaucoma surgery - Xen implant
XEN micro tube drainage surgery: New 2 minute procedure with no stitches or cuts, whilst being more effective than other micro implants in most glaucoma conditions. The xen utilises the same principles as the effective gold standard Trabeculectomy or Tube procedure but without the pain or stitches or complications.READ MORE
The silent condition which takes your sight without symptoms.
Glaucoma surgery options at LondonOC
- Xen implant - a 6mm microtube with no cuts or stitches in the conjunctiva and performed with just drops in under 5 minutes. This micro tube is so small and effective it has revolutionised glaucoma surgery allowing us to simplify the procedure and still have the benefits of safe, long lasting drainage.
- Trabeculectomy surgery -Using powerfulanti-scarringagents, and releasable stitches, Glaucoma Drainage Surgery is a proven method to give you optimal results. Our glaucoma specialist consultant surgeons will guide you on which procedure will give you the best pressure control, and all surgeries can be performed under local anaesthetic so you are able to go home on the same day as the surgery.
- Glaucoma MIGS surgery- modified with minimally invasive techniques providing safer & quicker surgery with microtube implants, achieving high success rates and faster recovery. New implants and shunts to lower pressure -effective & safe.
- iStent - new drainage device which safely lowers pressure the natural way without having to cut into the skin (conjunctiva) so reducing the risk of scarring or failure. A quick and effective way of lowering pressure, with less trauma to the eye than conventional surgery.
Glaucoma Risk Factors
The main problem with Glaucoma is that there are no symptoms and it can go undetected, causing loss of vision - this is why screening is so important.
What are some of the risk factors for glaucoma?
- A family history
- Myopia (Short sightedness)
- Age - the elderly are at more risk
- Thin Corneas- that's why everyone should undergo a corneal measurement
- Low Corneal Hysteresis (shock absorbing or mechanical elasticity)
- Race- its more common amongst black and asians
- High eye pressure - if your eye pressure is higher than normal
- Previous eye injury
Keep up-to-date with conditions, innovative treatments and news here at LondonOC
Glaucoma, Glaucoma Treatment, UncategorizedSeptember 16, 2021
Glaucoma, Glaucoma TreatmentAugust 12, 2021
Effective glaucoma treatments & the importance of eye tests
Cataract, cataract surgery, cataract treatment, Glaucoma, Glaucoma TreatmentJuly 29, 2021
How a tube the width of a hair saved Michael Rosen’s eyesight
Cataract, Glaucoma, Other ConditionJune 25, 2021
Does the sun damage your eyes?